Softball Rewrites Script, Wins in Extras at GlenOak
By Leopard Nation ·
Published · Updated
Louisville 10, GlenOak 7, 8 Innings
The Louisville Lady Leopards Varsity Softball Team used the long ball to rally for a 10-7 extra inning victory over the host GlenOak Golden Eagles Saturday on the campus of GlenOak High School. With the victory, Louisville improves to 17-6 heading into tournament play.
Kaycee Ollis hit a 2-run homer in the top of the eight inning to give the Lady Leopards the go-ahead lead at 9-7. Two at-bats later, Grace Jackson blasted a solo shot for Louisville’s 10th run of the game and her 10th homer of the season. LHS has now cracked 26 home runs this year, which includes a stretch of 9 in the 4 games played so far in May.
After allowing a lead-off single in the bottom half of the eighth, Leopards pitcher Kirsten Wharmby got the next Golden Eagles batter to ground into a double play. The final batter also grounded out to end the game and Wharmby improved to 4-2 on the season.
Earlier in the contest, Emily Cantley hit a 2-out, 2-run homer to center field to knot the game at 7-7 in the top of the sixth. The rocket ended a string of 6 straight GlenOak runs and was her second in as many days.
Prior to the Golden Eagles rally, the Leopards built a 5-1 lead. Aliyah English hit a 2-run double in the first inning and also homered to left field to start the third inning. English has now put 3 over the fence in a span of 4 games.
Ollis and Jackson both had RBI singles in the second inning as well. Jackson would finish with 4 of Louisville’s 13 hits for the game.
With the victory, the Leopards have now defeated the Golden Eagles in 7 of their past 10 meetings. Louisville still trails the all-time series 13-21, which includes a 5-10 mark at GlenOak. The two squads could meet again at GOHS on Tuesday in the DI Massillon Sectional Finals, if the Leopards can win at Jackson Monday.
UP NEXT: The Lady Leopards will next travel to Jackson to take on the Polar Bears in the DI Massillon Sectional Semifinals on Monday, May 9 starting at 4:30 PM.
Using MLB Baseball Stats from 1957-2018 when a team is up by 5 with 1 out, runners on the corners, and 5 innings remaining they have a 97.94% chance of winning. 2 Weeks Ago the Lady Leopards faced this simliar 2.06% chance of victory...and the rest is history! #NeverGiveUppic.twitter.com/i2KcGlDI18 1 hour ago