Louisville Takes Down West Holmes on Senior Night – Wrestling
Louisville 37, West Holmes 29
The #12 ranked Louisville Leopards Varsity Wrestling Team defeated the visiting #10 ranked West Holmes Knights 37-29 in a battle between ranked Division II foes Thursday Night at Louisville High School. With the victory, Louisville remains undefeated improving to 5-0 in duels this season.
Leopards Use 3 Straight Pins to Take Command
Seniors Dominic Hoffarth (150), Wyatt Smith (157), and Jude Yeager (165) recorded back-to-back-to-back pins to turn a 16-13 Leopard edge into a commanding 34-13 LHS advantage. Hoffarth and Smith both won by fall late in the first period of their matches. Yeager came away with the pin of West Holmes’ Dakota Patterson with only 1 second remaining in the second period of his match.
Two bouts later, one more Louisville victory by senior Gavin Hamilton (190) clinched the win for the Leopards. Hamilton earned a 4-3 decision over the Knights’ Gabe Averbukh to put LHS in front 37-17 with two matches remaining.
Rhoads Brothers Defeat Ranked Opponents
Louisville claimed 8 of the 14 matchups overall. Earlier freshman Colton Rhoads (106) and senior Dylan Rhoads (138) both earned decisions against a pair of ranked freshman. Colton Rhoads, ranked #16 in 106 for Division II, defeated #18 ranked Peyton Martin 11-4. Dylan Rhoads, ranked #6 in 132 for DII, wrestled up a weight class in earning a 5-3 decision against #16 ranked Louden Dixon.
Senior Kolten Barker (132), ranked #9 in 126 for Division II, also wrestled up a weight class and shutout Hunter Mccluggage to earn a major decision. Freshman Beau Nezbeth (120) received a forfeit to round out the Leopard winners.
Toye & Baldridge Win By Fall for Knights
Grady Toye (126) and #2 ranked senior Elisha Baldridge (285) both won by fall to lead West Holmes. Toye pinned Louisville freshman Luke Seaman 25 seconds into overtime. Baldridge pinned Leopard junior Ben Brendle with 7 seconds left in the opening period.
#3 ranked senior Mason Taylor (113) and Cole Porter (175) both won by major decision for the Knights. Other West Holmes Winners included Blake Strouse (144) by decision and Grant Miller (215) via forfeit.
West Holmes at Louisville Wrestling Box Score
LEOPARDS 37, KNIGHTS 29
- 106 – Colton Rhoads (Louisville) decision #18 Peyton Martin (West Holmes), 11-4 | LHS 3, WWHS 0
- 113 – #3 Mason Taylor (West Holmes) maj. decision Connor Novosel (Louisville), 9-0 | LHS 3, WWHS 4
- 120 – Beau Nezbeth (Louisville) wins by forfeit | LHS 9, WWHS 4
- 126 – Grady Toye (West Holmes) pins Luke Seaman (Louisville), 6:25 | LHS 9, WWHS 10
- 132 – Kolten Barker (Louisville) maj. decision Hunter Mccluggage (West Holmes), 13-0 | LHS 13, WWHS 10
- 138 – Dylan Rhoads (Louisville) decision #16 Loudon Dixon (West Holmes), 5-3 | LHS 16, WWHS 10
- 144 – Blake Strouse (West Holmes) decision Blake Balderson (Louisville), 4-2 | LHS 16, WWHS 13
- 150 – Dominic Hoffarth (Louisville) pins #28 Blake Norman (West Holmes), 1:54 | LHS 22, WWHS 13
- 157 – Wyatt Smith (Louisville) pins Dylan Sours (West Holmes), 2:00 | LHS 28, WWHS 13
- 165 – Jude Yeager (Louisville) pins Dakota Patterson (West Holmes), 3:59 | LHS 34, WWHS 13
- 175 – Cole Porter (West Holmes) maj. decision Micah Bricker (Louisville), 12-1 | LHS 34, WWHS 17
- 190 – Gavin Hamilton (Louisville) decision Gabe Averbukh (West Holmes), 4-3 | LHS 37, WWHS 17
- 215 – Grant Miller (West Holmes) wins by forfeit | LHS 37, WWHS 23
- 285 – #2 Elisha Baldridge (West Holmes) pins Ben Brendle (Louisville), 1:53 | LHS 37, WHHS 29
UP NEXT: The Leopards will next compete at the Josh Hephner Memorial Tournament on Friday, January 20 and Saturday, January 21. The action begins Friday at Noon from Austintown Fitch High School.
Cover Photo By Zippin Photography
Donate to Leopard Nation
Don’t forget to Subscribe to Our Posts for Free
You can also Submit an Article